The final season of Fringe has come to a close and ardent fans will be able to get a copy of the series on DVD now available at local outlets. Packed with action, the series that features a battle to save the world concludes with 13 episodes and some great special features including “A Farewell to Fringe” with reflections by creator J.J. Abrams.
Season five takes place in 2036 and The Observers have become ruthless rulers taking away all the freedoms and slowly destroying Earth by poisoning the air. Being able to live in the atmosphere they are creating, when the process is completed, The Observers will be the only beings left on Earth. The Fringe team has a plan to defeat The Observers, but it is dangerous. With the saving of Earth hanging in the balance the team prepares for the final battle.
The season wraps up the story nicely with the final 13 episodes bringing a conclusion to the battle to save Earth. Nicely put together, Fringe fans should like the build up and the finale. From the recovery of the tapes to the last firefight the story comes to an abrupt conclusion with a symbol fans will recognize.
The episodes on the DVD disc set ran from September 28, 2012 to January 18, 2013 and includes the following titles: “Transilience Thought Unifier Model-11”, “In Absentia”, “The Recordist”, “The Bullet That Saved the World”, “An Origin Story”, “Through the Looking Glass and What Walter Found There”, “Five-Twenty-Ten”, “The Human Kind”, “Black Blotter”, “Anomaly XB-6783746”, “The Boy Must Live”, “Liberty”, and the final chapter “An Enemy of Fate”.
The special bonus feature are very good and all are a must see including the gag reel for those who have watched over the past 5 years.
- “A Farewell to Fringe- Reflections from Series Creator J.J. Abrams, Executive Producer J.H. Wyman and several cast members.” The cast and crew talk about the starting of the series, things that happened along the way to the final conclusion of the shoot. Sometimes heartfelt, other times comical, it’s a must see for die-hard ‘Fringers’. I especially like the comments by Joshua Jackson who’s had a good career on both TV and film. This feature includes some nostalgic segments that are interlaced throughout the twenty minute bonus.
- “Fringe Season 5 2012 Comic-Con Panel” Here you’ll see the question and answer session from the panel that attended Comic-Con. It’s fun to see them in street clothes and there are some comical quips.
- “Enemy of Fate: Digital Script of Final Episode”- You can read the whole script of the final episode. Actually it’s very informative and useful for budding script writers.
- In addition to the above there’s a “Gag Reel”, “Unaired Scenes” and Commentary on the episode Black Blotter by Executive Producer J.H. Wyman and Editor Jon Dudkowski.
The quality of the DVD played through my Blu-ray player is quite good. The 1.78:1 aspect ratio with widescreen fills 16×9 televisions just like it aired on Fox. All the action including some intentional dark conflicts can be seen with not distortion. Although there is some grain due to television production, it’s not enough to make a difference in the showing.
The Dolby Digital High 5.1 Surround Sound comes across clean and clear with not distortion played through my upgraded speaker system. When played on my regular HD Television I did not notice much difference except for the absence of some surround effects.
FINAL ANALYSIS: A revealing season that completes the 5 year set.[rating=4]
Specifications and additional film information:
- Cast: Main Cast includes Joshua Jackson, Anna Torv, Jasika Nicole, and John Noble
- Directed by: Several
- Created by: J.J. Abrams
- MPAA Rating: Unrated
- Genre: Science Fiction
- Running Time: 564 minutes
- Street Date: May 7th
- Original Television Release Date: September 28, 2012 to January 18, 2013
- Language: English
- Format: DVD
- Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1
- Video: 1.78:1 widescreen
- Subtitles: English SDH, French and Spanish
- Number of Discs: 4 Disc Set
- Distributed by: Warner Bros. Distribution