With the march of coconut and almonds into milk cartons, it’s not easy choosing a faux moo juice. While researchers at the Universitat Politècnica de València are experimenting with hazelnuts, walnuts and chestnuts, we’re topping up our microwaved lattes with celeb chef Teresa Cutter’s high-protein quinoa milk.*
Makes 1 litre (eight 125 ml servings)
- 250 g cooked quinoa
- 1 litre (4 cups water to blend)
- 2 fresh, pitted dates or stevia
- 1 tsp vanilla extract/paste
- Combine the quinoa and half of the water into a good high speed blender.
- Blend at medium to high speed until creamy. This should take about 30 seconds to a minute.
- Add the rest of the water and blend again.
- Strain through a fine sieve and store the milk in the fridge for up to four days.
Per serving: 126
Fat: 0.4g Carb: 5.3g Protein: 1g Sugars 0.7g
*If you’re sensitive to gluten, play quinoa by ear as it may be cross-reactive.